Friday, February 27, 2009

"Monkey Lovers"

Facebook has become a guilty pleasure. Old high school, elementary school, summer camp friends popping up all over the place. Occasionally I get a glimpse into how they've turned out.

One ex-co-worker - I'll call him "L" - is from the great state of Texas, where the steaks are big and the personalities are bigger. Yesterday he posted on Facebook that he had become a supporter of Sarah Palin. Well, fine, didn't know he was a Republican, but he's from Texas, so odds are that he is one.

As anyone who reads my blog knows that I'm a huge critic of Sarah Palin, I couldn't resist the temptation to gently chide him for his choice. But hey, to each his own. I wrote:
Oh, L -- some points off the board for you! But hey, g'head and support her till someone better comes along, like maybe tomorrow.
One of his other FB friends replied this morning:
Thats alright L, I like her too. And thats all that is important!!! Don't let the monkey lovers get you down.
Now, I tend to be cautious when interpreting the comments of a total stranger. This could mean that I'm a believer in Evolution, which I would then take as a compliment, even as it showcases the utter ignorance of the writer. But it could also mean that as a supporter of Barack Obama, I'm somehow a "monkey lover" in the eyes of someone peering through a pointy white hood. Either way, this person's a moron for making that comment, especially when accompanied by a photograph of her face while holding what I presume to be her child. I think of the poison that child's mind is being forced to absorb way down there in oil-land and I just get sad.

As for other Texans, there are some who read this blog from that great state. Please don't go thinking I'm down on the state or its people. Just this one idiot, OK?

No comments: