Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Found Pearl

Read this in comments section for Dick Cavett's 11/14 NY Times column about Sarah Palin:

Horrified is how I feel about her, and baffled is how I feel about her following. Please do not let her become the face of either Christianity or motherhood. The words of Jesus are appropriate here:

“. . . Ye outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity . . . .” Matthew 23:28

I suppose a likely comeback would be: Therefore you are without excuse, every one of you who passes; judgement, for in that you would judge another, you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things (Romans 2:1)


But we can judge if we judge with integrity. Of course, there were many of us -- myself included, probably -- who jumped on the anti-Palin bandwagon simply because we wanted to tear McCain down (and she made it so damn easy!). But at some point during the nine weeks or so that she was a candidate for back-up president, it became much more about wanting what was best for my country. As Cavett wrote, "I do not wish her ill. But I also do not wish us ill."

I know this is so pre-November 4, already, but the little pearl I read above gave me some additional context for my harsh judgment of Palin. I wanted to share it with you.

Back to the grind!

No comments: