Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's No Wonder...

Like Sarah Palin, George W. Bush was believed by many in the evangelical community to have "the anointing," to be chosen by God to lead the United States. And why not? He's one of them, right? He's a True Believer, one who considers the Bible to be the literal word of God, right?

Oh, wait... no he's not.

I think evolution can - you're getting me way out of my lane here. I'm just a simple president. But it's, I think that God created the earth, created the world; I think the creation of the world is so mysterious it requires something as large as an almighty and I don't think it's incompatible with the scientific proof that there is evolution.

No, I'm not a literalist, but I think you can learn a lot from [the Bible].
He's smarter than the average bear!

So it's no wonder that Evangelicals and those of that persuasion got hardly anything of what they wanted in the past eight years: abortion is still legal in every state, no school prayer allowed, gays can marry in two states and there is no constitutional amendment to ban it altogether, and this is still a secular nation with a non-evangelical majority.

Smart Christians would do well to abandon politics right now and focus on ... duh... the family.

No comments: