Thursday, November 5, 2009

Establishment Republicans "Pale-in" Comparison to True Conservatives, Cont.

A reader writes:
I don't know what I was thinking, but last Thursday evening I attended an event hosted by our homeowners association featuring Chuck Devore. He said the Republican Party was backing Carly, not him. While he was charming, intelligent and articulate, I found myself glued to my chair with my hands in my lap as everyone else in the room broke out into standing ovations all evening. Although I found his views frightening, it was the positive reaction from the crowd that scared me most. All in all, I'm glad I went, because I think it's good to see a different perspective now and again.
Ah, the charms of Orange County, CA. As I'm a died-in-the-wool progressive (life-long), I would never have the stomach for an event like that. The scariest part, as this reader wrote, was witnessing the collection of radical right-wing conservatives all in one place, feeding off each other and raising the roof with their fringe ideology. And to think that these people are all around us, serving us coffee, examining our children, repairing our leaky faucets, investing our retirement funds, sitting on our school boards, etc.

It's why this wing of American politics is so dangerous and why it must be exposed as a fraud, and its followers stopped at every turn.

No comments: