Friday, May 15, 2009

Christianism Watch, cont.

Regarding my previous post about the sign on the church marquee, a reader writes:

I imagine what they are trying to say is that they consider rejection of Jesus to be a hate crime. But let me see if I can redeem their actual statement. What if we were to understand it to mean that... To engage in a hate crime is to reject the teachings of Christ. I would affirm that statement! I know, it probably isn't what they meant, but man, they left the door wide open to interpretation.
I would posit that engaging in hate crime is a rejection of any religious teaching, not just those of Jesus. And I do appreciate the reader's attempt to redeem the statement, especially since neither of us came up with it and I would not wish to be branded as closed-minded as this statement appears to be.

Accordingly, I'll grant some level of latitude as to interpretation, but I don't see it as "wide open," however. My experience with the evangelical community has not been one of anything interpretive. When a religious sect is formed on the basis of a "literal" reading of the text, interpretation actually gets in the way of teaching.

No, I believe that this type of statement is trying to be provocative to anyone who might potentially be interested in coming inside to worship. Also, it would only appeal to those people who possess the belief that the only way to God is through Jesus. It sets those people apart from the rest of us, creates exclusivity and actually equates other-ness with a vile crime. I believe that in the eyes of the person(s) who decided to post that statement, the Jew who rejects Jesus is the same as the skinhead who spray paints a swastika on his synagogue.

In trying to preach the teachings of Jesus, they actually violate them. Funny how that works.

No comments: