Friday, May 15, 2009

Military Commissions

From Greenwald to Sullivan to ABC's Jake Tapper, Obama is taking some real heat about his decision to preserve, "with modifications," Bush's secret military commissions, rather than abide by his own campaign statement to try suspected terrorists in American courts according to the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

I haven't read up on this enough to comment (I know, shocker). I will, however, say that while I am disappointed in some of the recent decisions Obama has made regarding the torture photos, I am not afraid of some opacity in the workings of national security. Not everything can be done out in the open with full transparency to the public. Obama has already publicly stated that torture is over with, that Gitmo is going to close, that black sites are shut down, and I think that's a good start.

No comments: