Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Yes, I'm Parsing Words

Via TPM and Fox News, we get a glimpse of what kind of email that they are getting. Shep Smith is one of the more engaging, likeable, pragmatic personalities on Fox. He is talking about the shooting today of a black security guard at the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. The guard has since died, and the shooter, an alleged white supremacist, is in critical condition.



I wonder when people will start taking seriously the idea that we have to be concerned about right-wing terrorism in this country?

UPDATE: However, what gets me is what Smith himself says about some of the people who send him emails. He uses the phrase, "hate, not based in fact." I know I'm parsing and getting a little picky here, but as a man of letters, it's what I do. Since when is fact-based hate more palatable than fact-free hate? So, if some guy finds some kernel of truth about the president that he doesn't like, he can use that as justification to hate all blacks, all Democrats, all non-white, non-Christians?

No comments: