Thursday, September 10, 2009

On Being The Rock

Two excellent posts on Obama's steely calm throughout this summer of right-wing insanity and left-wing petulance.

From Andrew Sullivan (my italics):
[T]he right had its chances and blew it. And the problems are real and he's our best bet at tackling them seriously for a long time to come. Moreover, Obama's proposals are within the center of rational debate, and he is open to persuasion. As he said last night, he's happy to back tort reform, or McCain's catastrophic insurance idea. He has also bent to the Clinton position on mandates. His proposal, one should recall, is to massively increase the markets for private insurance companies and drug companies. ... But in the world of Fox News, this is tantamount to government "take-over". Piffle. Claptrap. Bollocks.

and Ta-Nehisi Coates (my italics):

I don't want to be led by people who think that "getting angry" is a actual political strategy. I want to be led by a killer. A cold, unemotional, professional killer.

I keep meeting lefties who tell me Obama's "too soft" with these guys, and I keep looking at them like they're crazy. I am going to go out on a limb and say that there is something deeper at work here, something beyond the policy fights. I think a lot of us don't just want Obama to be effective, we want him to exact some measure of revenge. It's smart to understand the difference between the two, and moreover, how the desire for one can undermine the other. A section of conservatives love Sarah Palin because she drives liberals crazy. That she drives a lot of other people crazy too, and hence undermines herself, is beside the point.

I'm often one of those who keeps score between right and left, and I sometimes want Obama to swing harder. But he's the President of the United States. We already had enough "Bring it on," didn't we? But how's this for a couple of jabs?
I will continue to seek common ground in the weeks ahead. If you come to me with a serious set of proposals, I will be there to listen. My door is always open.

But know this: I will not waste time with those who have made the calculation that it's better politics to kill this plan than improve it. I will not stand by while the special interests use the same old tactics to keep things exactly the way they are. If you misrepresent what's in the plan, we will call you out. And I will not accept the status quo as a solution. Not this time. Not now.
I think that's about as far as he's going to go with "fightin' words."

No comments: