Tuesday, September 15, 2009

There's an "I" in Dickwad, Too, MJ

Wow. David Brooks writes today in the NY Times ("High Five Nation") that self-effacement and humility ruled the day when our accomplishments were at their greatest. How right he is! He wrote about Truman and the celebrities who, at the end of WWII, reminded Americans to be solemn in the face of their victory over the Nazis. He wrote that in future decades that attitude gave way to the navel-gazing of the "me" generation.

But he forgot Neil Armstrong as a prime example of humility.

Still, he did call attention to events of the past few days: Kanye West's antics at MTV's Video Music Awards show; Joe Wilson's "You Lie!" comment on the House floor; and Michael Jordan's "egomaniacal and self indulgent Hall of Fame speech." Huh, what? Michael Jordan? Ambassador of basketball goodwill? Arguably the greatest basketball player in history?

Well, check out this line from his speech:

"I remember having a conversation with Tex Winter, who was an unbelievable coach. I was coming off the floor and I had scored like 20 points in a row to win the game.

"Tex reminded me there's no 'I' in team. I looked back at Tex and said, 'There's an 'I' in win."

Stunningly tasteless.

No comments: