Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What's on my iPod?

Since I've been writing about politics all this month, I thought I'd take a little break and let you in a little on who I am. My iPod is actually not my iPod; it's my wife's. Bought it for her a couple of years ago. It's a 30-gig video unit. Can't figure out how to upload our personal videos onto the thing, but she's got about 1,000 photos on it of our kids and family. As for music, I get one playlist for myself, and I'm basically a guest everywhere else. So here's my playlist, by artist with a few tunes thrown in there:

Allan Holdsworth -- the world's most amazing electric guitarist, hands-down
Bruford -- Bill Bruford with Dave Stewart, Jeff Berlin and John Clarke
Byron Fry -- a personal friend, a great guitarist and composer, with his first symphony debuting this summer in Mammoth Lakes, CA; Check him out at http://cdbaby.com/cd/outdoorsports)
Elton John -- Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding Only; the rest is too pop
Genesis -- Peter Gabriel era only; Phil who?
Gentle Giant -- the most incredible English prog-rock band after King Crimson
Gong -- Pierre Moerlen's version with Allan Holdsworth
Happy the Man -- Arlington, VA's weirdest prog-rock dudes of the 1970s
Jeff Buckley -- the late, great singer-songwriter whose songs and voice are timeless
King Crimson -- 1980s version with Belew, Bruford, Fripp and Levin
National Health -- English jazz-rock innovators; single-handedly killed prog-rock for good
Peter Gabriel -- earlier stuff, pre-Sledgehammer
Radiohead -- OK Computer was the most sonically perfect album ever since Dark Side of the Moon; a late entry into my inner circle (thank you Jill Shinefield)
Red Hot Chili Peppers -- Give it Away only
Robert Fripp -- the Godfather of Progressive Rock and its sanest voice; from his landmark Exposure album
Sting -- Pop, I know, but with a jazz bent and fantastic vocals
Talking Heads -- Pre-Speaking In Tongues, live with the big band
Third Matinee -- Patrick Leonard (Madonna's producer) and Richard Page (Mr. Mister) with some of the best songs ever written and never heard
U.K. -- First album only with Jobson, Wetton, Bruford, and Holdsworth
Yes -- Going for the One album only

No comments: