Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Reason Why Federal Social Programs Exist

This Sullivan reader relates his recession story.

"Before this year I never gave much thought to social programs, frankly, I neither needed or qualified for them. However, when the time came that I needed assistance, the government was there to help."

I have believed all my adult life that programs like Social Security, Welfare, Medicare, Medicaid, and others exist as the safety net for those who are in need. This man would not have been able to support his family and get himself back on his feet without them. I acknowledge that the system does create dependency for those who lack the education or skill set to earn a decent living. Without these programs, however, the neediest members of our society would be helpless and hopeless. Our hard work to provide for our own, notwithstanding, we should not begrudge the government spending our tax dollars to help those less fortunate than we are.

No comments: