Monday, November 1, 2010

The Painful Truth

I wouldn't have put it the way Stephen Fry puts it, but this is spot-on:

If women liked sex as much as men, there would be straight cruising areas in the way there are gay cruising areas,’ he said.

‘Women would go and hang around in churchyards thinking, “God, I’ve got to get my ******* rocks off”, or they’d go to Hampstead Heath and meet strangers to shag behind a bush. It doesn’t happen. Why? Because the only women you can have sex with like that wish to be paid for it.’

Fry, who hosts BBC quiz QI, added: ‘I feel sorry for straight men. The only reason women will have sex with them is that sex is the price they are willing to pay for a relationship with a man, which is what they want.

‘Of course, a lot of women will deny this and say, “Oh no, but I love sex, I love it!” But do they go around having it the way that gay men do?'


I don't deny that there are exceptions to this generalization. But, no matter how much women deny it, there is always a price straight men must pay for having sex with them. I had a friend long ago who'd figured that he could have had sex with a different $500 hooker every day of his marriage and he would have spent less (and had about 100 times more sex) than he did for his divorce. Says a lot about the man and possibly explains the divorce, but it's no less true.

I would agree with the idea that women have plenty of opportunity to source out sex without having to resort to "cruising" the way gay men do, but in a way, going to a bar or nightclub, or joining an online dating site, is basically the same thing, just a bit cleaner and a bit less public.

No comments: