Monday, May 5, 2008

End of an Era

No, I'm not going to write about the end of the Bush presidency in just over eight months. If I were, then the title of this post would be "End of an Error." This post is about the end of my nearly seven-year journey with the financial institution for whom I currently do consulting work (we'll call it Bank A). My last day will be this Friday, May 9. From there I'm taking a week off to recharge my batteries, and then I'll be employed again, full-time with one of the largest financial institutions in the world (Bank B). I'll be back in sales, which became my niche more than five years ago and which has fueled the growth of my family (and my debt, unfortunately!).



Before working at Bank A, my longest job was just over three years. When I passed that mark at Bank A, I could envision this place being my last employer. I started a business as a real estate developer (currently dormant) as a way to fulfill that vision. Sadly, as I passed my 45th birthday without realizing my vision, and the subsequent meltdown in my industry, I resolved to find another "last employer." Bank B will fill that need. In an uncertain, ultra-competitive market, I wanted to work for a company that presented a huge, undeniable brand. When I walk into a sales meeting, I want a two-ton business card that people cannot throw away. Plus, I will be much closer to home and working with another group of quality people.


There is no doubt in my mind that this is the right move for me. I believe that Bank A will survive the current mortgage and financial crises. They have solid management and a great working plan. Plus they have dedicated employees. That last element should not be underestimated. It is the quality of the people I work with that for me makes it very difficult for me to believe that the company will not survive. It is also the people who are making my departure all the more difficult. I have created some solid friendships while I've been here, and it will take a lot of effort on my part to stay connected to those friends now that we won't be working together.


For those former co-workers who are reading this blog entry, know that you have become like family to me over the years. I was happy to discover the few, the proud, the progressives, among the sea of blandness and superficiality that make up this company (not to mention the ultra-conservative and the Fox Newsies who only think they're conservative).

In the coming weeks and months, this blog is the best way to find out how I am, as I will do my best to maintain it regularly. Making comments on my entries (by posting them here on the website rather than responding to your emails) will help me grow this blog and know who out there is reading it.

So, to borrow from the fourth book in the Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy: So long, and thanks for all the fish.

No comments: