Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mental Health Break

My browsing had me clicking on a banner ad above an LA Times article to vote for the worst album cover ever.

Here are my two faves:


Love that title! I haven't heard the record, but I found some stuff on the web from someone who apparently has. Source: Freddie Gage is a Baptist evangelist. "All My Friends Are Dead" is not a musical work, but a sermon, the general gist of which does not appear to be that all of Freddie Gage's friends are actually dead, but instead that all the people who he evangelized to, who did not accept Jesus, indeed became quite dead in only a matter of hours, having committed The Unpardonable Sin. He's released other albums besides "All My Friends Are Dead," including a rather psychedelic 1971 anti-LSD record, "Drugs and Youth," the back of which contains the following praise:
HEAR THE TURNED-ON PREACHER
HE IS OUT OF SIGHT
HE IS ON THE "IN" TO WHAT IS HAPPENING

To all appearences, Gage's evangelistic technique in the '70s involved talking to high school students about drugs, hippies and hell, the third item being where you would go if you got involved with the other two. He did seem to a have a particular compassion for drugged-out kids, which I guess is pretty cool.




I couldn't find anything relevant about John Bult, but this album cover just reeks of pedophilia, doesn't it? I'm really intrigued by what this guy could be doing, sitting in some honky-tonk with a half-empty beer, a burning cigarette in the ashtray, and holding the hand of this sad-faced girl? What's the story here?

No comments: