Friday, June 6, 2008

Disturbing Short Film

I wouldn't consider myself a fan of David Cronenberg's films. He has created some of the most absolutely wretched images in cinema. If you saw 1977's Rabid, starring Marilyn Chambers, or 1983's Videodrome, starring James Woods, you'll know what I'm talking about. Provocative, and not always interesting. He has improved over the years, I admit. A History of Violence was fantastic, and while I haven't seen Eastern Promises, I've heard it was also very good.

Cronenberg was born a Jew, but he says he has always considered himself an atheist. Then he started contemplating the statements of radical Islamists who want to kill all the Jews in the world. At the same time, he and 32 other filmmakers were invited by the Cannes Film Festival to create a trailer-length short film to mark the festival's 60th anniversary. His contribution, which can be viewed here, is called At the Suicide of the Last Jew in the World in the Last Cinema in the World.

Linked to the webpage for the film is a review by Stuart Klawans, who reviews films for The Nation. He saw the film as a defiant middle finger to those Islamic extremists or anyone who would like to rid the world of Jews. As for me, I haven't processed it that far yet. When or if I do, I'll post my thoughts here. Meanwhile, take the time to watch it. It's a bit unsettling.

No comments: