Tuesday, October 7, 2008

30 Days, 30 Reasons

One of my readers lives in south Orange County, a bastion of Republicanism for as long as I can remember. He is an Obama supporter, and listens to his friends and neighbors who are undecided but are leaning towards voting for McCan't. He asked me to come up with 10 strong reasons why they ought to vote for Obama instead. Well, I drafted something, but I can't remember if I ever sent it.

Now, Lee Stranahan is posting and circulating a video each day covering reasons he's voting for Obama. It started yesterday with this one about healthcare. Today, the subject is "End the '60s," featuring a very cool picture of the Clintons. I didn't recognize them at first! I also hadn't thought of this one myself, but it makes sense. Every one of the people who has served as or been nominated for President since 1992 has either grown up or otherwise had transformative life experiences in the 1960s. Obama was born in 1961, and was eight years old when Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground planted his bombs (bombs which killed or injured no one, a distinction that appears to have gone unnoticed by the McCan't campaign which is putting him on the same level as Osama bin Laden. I guess McVeigh would be a freedom fighter?). He's a product of the 1970s and 1980s after the civil rights era, after Vietnam and Watergate, but during the Reagan/Bush41 regime and the advent of HIV/AIDS. It's time for the next generation to lead. It's time for the flip-flopping torture lover McCan't to retire. And it's never going to be time for the theocratic vision of Sarah Palin to dominate this secular nation. And the polls are all bearing this out.

No comments: