Thursday, October 23, 2008

Where are you?

Each morning, as I leave my house for work, I see the Obama sign on my front lawn, and I'm reminded again that I live in an incredible time. And each evening, when I drive the street in front of my house that sits across from Max's elementary school, I see parents, white and black, picking up their kids after a long day at work. And I remember that just last spring, the school was divided along racial lines around a decision to separate from the school district. I remember the whispers among white parents at 8 am as the kids arrived, or the flyers going around that were filled with falsehoods about the opposing side. I remember parents wondering if the school's black principal was going to be impartial. And today, I see how it was a mirror for this election.

I've written nearly 600 blog posts, mostly about this election, since April. It takes some effort and I put my heart and soul into it.

Of late, however, I am regularly hearing back from only one person. He's a great guy and I genuinely enjoy his constantly contrarian point of view, but overall, I'm disappointed.

I very much want your feedback, your comments, your criticisms, your support, and I frequently have asked for it. Sometimes a friend will tell me when I see him that he's seen the blog and likes what he reads, and that's nice. But I am hoping for more. Whether or not you agree with what I'm saying, I want you to forward these posts to people you know (or link to them). I initially started this blog last year to get thoughts out of my head about my family and such, but now it has turned into an earnest attempt on my part to start a dialogue about this election, which has become the most important political event in my lifetime.

My distribution list includes family and friends, other bloggers, and from all sides of the issues. I hope that what I write inspires you to think and observe for yourself and to discuss the issues with others. This is not a time to shy away from politics.

In fact, last month I brought up the election with a potential referral source, who turned out to be a McCain supporter. When she said that her life would change if Obama were elected, I asked why, and she said that Obama would be favoring black people over whites. In a nice way I disagreed, but I could tell after that conversation that I was not going to enjoy her support. But I don't regret bringing it up. There is no time for quiet civility right now.

So I am challenging all of you to send me a reply to this post with your views on this election, or any other topic you wish to discuss. I will post all of them. I will honor anonymity and will only use initials or just "a reader" if you so choose.

But if you don't wish to get my posts any longer, please let me know and I'll remove you from the distribution list.

Just remember: "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."

No comments: