Monday, September 22, 2008

Mental Health Break

One of my favorite bands in my teens and 20s was British Progressive Rockers Gentle Giant. A video of a TV performance can be seen here (note: the music is awesome, but the camera spends waaay too much time on the ugliest drummer on earth, John Weathers).

In January 1974 they released The Power and The Glory, an album of wickedly political songs from the viewpoints of a monarch and his subjects. When I read today's news stories about the mortgage bailout mess, I start thinking about Bush, who in my mind probably orchestrated this bailout with a spittle-laced tirade against Paulson. With neck and forehead veins bulging and face turning crimson, Bush says, "Let McCain deal with fixing the goddamn problem -- but he'll probably fuck that up like he's done everything else I've given him so far! Better yet, let that other guy win, so at least we can blame it on the goddamn liberals! But, I don't care what the fuck you have to do, Hank, I am NOT gonna let history turn me into the guy who let another depression happen! I ain't no goddamn Hoover!"

I can imagine him giving a goodbye speech on Jan. 19, arguing till his dying breath that he's not to blame and that things would have been just fine had everyone just listened to him. So I started thinking about the album's lyrics, which can be found here. Some nuggets:

Unity, strength, and all must be as one confidence in you
Hope will reflect in me
I think everyone not as my nation for you are my people
And there must be no change.
It can change, it can stay the same
I can say, I can make my claim.

...

So, sincere his thoughts so full, always empty
Good, or maybe things are bad, so sincere,
and every word is so sincere.

...

I will steer the helm of all the nation as the captain
Take my rewards for all the good I'm doing now,
And no words that I'm the knave will alter my philosophy
For if any are heard, the games started again
I'll never lose.

...

You must believe, that there's been no betrayal
All that I've done, I've really done for you.
Things must stay, there must be no change,
Anyway, time to rearrange.

Hail to power, and to glory's way.

No comments: